Why I don't regret quitting on-line dating

It’s Not You: 27 (Wrong) Reasons You’re Single Forums Welcome Why I don't regret quitting on-line dating

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    eldogg
    Participant

Interesting post, Reds10. I would suggest that we (as a society) are not putting too much pressure on ourselves to “couple up” as a goal, but that we ARE putting too much pressure on ourselves within the process itself. Just recently, someone I know said that she doesn’t understand why women don’t give men 2 or even 3 dates to decide as long as both are nice people and the conversation flows … that she knows of many successful couples who have deeper and better relationships from letting things play out this way … people who may even have felt that the 1st date went just ok.

The truth is … as a society, we all have lofty expectations of how we’re “supposed to feel” after one date and generally speaking, we have a timeline of how the relationship should progress physically after date 1, date 2, date 3. That … is pressure. How can we expect to have your knees wobble after one date off the internet when you’ve never met this person before? I think we all need to be more patient and not be fixated on what may or may not happen on each date.

As for being alone, I for one believe that life was meant to be lived with a partner (that is NOT to say, btw, that we shouldn’t make being happy and comfortable with ourselves the #1 priority). If you (or anyone else) thinks they can be happy alone for the rest of their lives, all the power to you. I can assure you that you will find otherwise when you start to get older and realize that growing old without the kind of support you can only get from a partner or perhaps your children (which you obviously won’t have if you never find a partner) is daunting. I’m an only child and I’m currently taking care of a 93 y/o Mom. I ask myself all the time what I’m going to do when I need the kind of love and care that she has needed these past few years.

I’m not saying that this should be one’s only motivation in finding a partner. Just that it’s a very unpleasant byproduct of being alone. There are of course, other reasons to feel the need to be with someone. Even just the companionship and the ability to hold someone in one’s arms and the feelings one experiences when one is in love … is something that I miss when I’m not in a relationship and while I make the best of it, I’m not sure I can look at the alternative of being alone without feeling like I’m missing something and my life just isn’t complete (notice, I didn’t say that I need someone else to “complete” ME).

Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m relatively new to this online dating game. But i spent some time on PoF and Tinder, and to be honest with you it was complete waste of time. Right now I’m in the middle of searching new sites by reading reviews here. I still believe that online dating sites can open a huge door for all the people out there who have bad luck dating around in real life.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.