Other great writers/publications/works

It’s Not You: 27 (Wrong) Reasons You’re Single Forums Welcome Other great writers/publications/works

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    mamey2422
    Participant

Great article, Mariposa!

Here’s another one: Ask Polly: I’m Pretending I’m Happy Sinugle, But I’m Not!

mariposa
    Participant

Love that @mamey2422! So perfect and so true. And I’m dying over resting Graceful Acceptance Face… story of my life sometimes!

LoneStar
    Participant

Here’s one a friend sent me:
    Single Jewish Orthodox women are largely forgotten

Minorities within minorities tend to be even more marginalized.

mariposa
    Participant

That was a good read, LoneStar, and you make a great point about minorities within minorities. Thanks for sharing. Religion is interesting because it can provide such a strong sense of community on the one hand, but at the same time can be so isolating for people who don’t fit into those traditional norms. I can imagine how difficult it must be for single women to navigate that set of circumstances.

And not at all related to the topic above, but I liked this piece about dating as an ambivert.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soloish/wp/2017/01/18/im-not-an-extrovert-and-that-makes-it-harder-to-find-love/?utm_term=.cb50c783f4ac

mariposa
    Participant
    Angel88
    Participant

Hey Mariposa! Thank you so much for the suggestion. I got the book and I’m already well into chapter 8. Honestly, I went in expecting something very different, but I am pleasantly surprised. Chapter 7 definitely felt validating to me. It was refreshing to be thought of, validated, and understood in this book, as I am someone who is far from the typical protagonist in love stories.
    So far, it’s been a good read.

mariposa
    Participant

@Angel88, that’s great to hear! Thanks for letting me know your thoughts so far. I’m definitely adding it to my summer reading list. :)

LoneStar
    Participant

My friend just shared an interview with Mandy on a podcast (why oh why….which is another resource) where she discusses the book, the relationship she’s in and the modern love article that started it:

http://www.whyohwhyradio.com/mandy-len-catron-36-questions

mariposa
    Participant

I finished How to Fall In Love With Anyone a few days ago and loved it. It was smart and thoughtful, and I really like how the book explored the contrast between the author’s own experiences and family history with the love stories we’ve all grown up with. Her thoughts and experiences were really relatable to me, and it was refreshing to see someone write so honestly about the complicated relationship they’ve had with understanding love and what it means. She reflected so many of my own feelings, questions and anxieties, and that in itself was eye-opening for me because our experiences with love have been very different (she’s spent most of her adult life in long-term relationships, and I’ve spent most of mine single). Like Angel88, I found it really validating, and I could have kept reading long after it ended. Her blog is mentioned at the end of the book, so now I am working my way through that:

https://thelovestoryproject.ca/

And Lonestar, thanks so much for the podcast link. I enjoyed it too, and I’m going to check out some of the other episodes this week.

Reds10
    Participant

I also finished the book and felt ambivalent about it sometimes, but overall found it very insightful.

Didn’t mean to make love a theme for my summer reading, but I’m reading The Course of Love by Alain de Botton now. Very interesting look at a couple from first meeting throughout their marriage, broken up in sections by different ‘milestones,’ so to speak. Also peppered with some philosophy and psychoanalysis. I’m enjoying it quite a bit by how real it seems. Most love stories end when the couple gets together or gets married. You don’t see the sometimes messy aftermath, but that’s where this book really starts.

Anyone know any good books/memoirs etc about love/relationships/etc that primarily involve people of color or interracial coupledom?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.